Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Vintage Ad (1894): Yale Mixture



Izaak Walton (1593-1683) was an English biographer best known for his book The Compleat Angler. I must say that in this ad, his garb appears anachronistically Victorian, to me.

Anyhow, this original version of Yale is no longer made (as far as I know), but there is also a blend made with this name by Cornell & Diehl, and it is quite good. Once it was my favorite blend; since my tastes have turned more toward Perique mixtures, I can say that it is still my favorite Latakia blend.

Yale is a mixture of Latakia and Virginia, and for my palate it is blended in perfect balance. This was my "gateway" blend. I had previously been smoking various aromatics, and not really been happy about any of them, so I asked Mr. Tarler of C&D for advice on trying an English blend. This is what he recommended. The subtle play of smoky Latakia and sweet Virginia opened up a whole new world for me, and I never went back.

No comments:

Post a Comment