Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Just a few tobacco comments

I haven't updated my online tobacco cellar in quite some time, but it's still there to give anyone who cares an idea of what I like to smoke.  I recently made a purchase for the first time since Cornell & Diehl was sold.  So I ordered from smokingpipes.com.  Am I wrong, or is their bulk tobacco much less expensive than when C&D was selling it themselves?

Anyway, they were out of my standard Bayou Night at the time, so I ordered some Byzantium.  Their description:
An intriguing interpretation of the classic Balkan.  Redolent of Latakia, Orientals and bracing Perique.
Since I so thoroughly enjoyed a tin of Samuel Gawith's Balkan Flake recently, I decided I'd try this instead of waiting until Bayou Night came back in stock.  Now almost finished with my first pipe of it, and the word is:  it's good.  I like it.  If I had some straight Perique on hand, I'd probably give it a dose to increase the Perique content, but I am enjoying it as it is.

Since I depleted my entire stash of tins that I'd had in the cabinet for a few years, I also ordered one tin each of the aforementioned Balkan Flake, 1792 Flake and Escudo.

I'm pretty sure the last time I ordered from C&D, their bulk tobacco was running around $40 per pound, but this pound of Byzantium was only $25 from smokingpipes.com.  So I'll probably be ordering some additional tobacco soon:  Bayou Night for sure, and possibly a tin of Three Nuns now that it's available, and maybe a tin or two of Nightcap.

I also got a small free sample of C&D's Briar Fox, which I haven't tried yet.  I'll post some thoughts on it when I get around to trying it.

I guess I should also add that, while waiting for this shipment to come in, I finished off the last of my St. James Woods.  This is the only Perique blend I've had that I didn't really care for.  I don't think I'll ever be ordering it again.

2 comments:

  1. I mostly smoke aromatics...well, that's wrong. I ONLY smoke aromatics. But I've been curious about perique. Any suggestions about branching out from aromatics? The ONLY law is it MUST smell nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend some tobaccos that are not too heavy on the Perique if you're just "starting out" on them. Something like C&D's Bayou Morning or Haunted Bookshop. For a light latakia, try C&D's Yale Mixture or Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

    ReplyDelete