Sunday, January 27, 2008

Kaywoodie #H7 Hi-Bowl

Produced during the 1960s, this is the Kaywoodie Hi-Bowl designated #H7. There were six different shapes in the Hi-Bowl line. I have not been able to find pictures of any of them. No vintage ads, no descriptions, nothing. This is the only one I have ever seen.

This is one of the few pipes that I bought via eBay as a single. Most of what I get are in lots of several; I may keep one or two that appeal to me and resell the rest. But I thought this pipe looked so ungainly, so awkward, that I bought it for the same reason Charlie Brown bought that little Christmas tree. That was back before I considered myself a collector, and I wasn't looking for Kaywoodies intentionally.

This pipe required extensive work before it was presentable, much less smokeable. The briar is in fine shape, however, the stem has one hole in the bit from bite-through. It's a small hole on the underside and is invisible in this photo, and as far as I can tell it doesn't affect the smokeability.

I don't smoke this pipe often. The combination of that tall bowl and a long, straight stem makes it very fore-heavy and I prefer bent pipes with a lower center of gravity. But since I do like to collect Kaywoodies, this one definitely gets a place in my permanent collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment