Saturday, February 2, 2008

Kaywoodie Yacht export pipe (bent Dublin)

I was going to talk about a different pipe but I want to take some pictures of it disassembled first, and it's too dark outside now to take any photos. So I'll do this one.

This is one of a pair of Kaywoodies that were the first pipes of that maker that I ever purchased. They were both estate pipes via eBay. It is a slightly bent Dublin, which Kaywoodie called a "yacht" or sometimes "yachtsman." It is also an "export" pipe because it has a traditional push-stem instead of the trademark screw-in stem of most Kaywoodies. They were made this way for sale in Europe--for some reason someone at Kaywoodie decided that these would sell better than the screw-stem--so stems made for export were just regular push-stems.

I dropped this pipe once and the impact broke the tenon. The tenon is that narrower part of the stem that fits into the shank (actually it fits into a countersunk part of the shank called the mortise). A real pipe repairman can fix this easily, since the tenon is not integral to the stem. Just take out the broken one and stick in a new one, then fit it to the mortise. Or maybe they fit it first, I don't know. Unfortunately, sometime in the process the person who replaced this tenon managed to knock out the cloverleaf, which is why there's a cloverleaf-shaped hole in the stem but no cloverleaf. I guess he felt bad about it, because I not only received the repaired stem sans cloverleaf, but I also got a brand new "generic" stem. I'm still trying to figure out if there's any way to replace, or least "fake" replace, the cloverleaf.

I don't smoke this much because it doesn't have a lot of bowl volume. But it is my only Kaywoodie export pipe, so it's a part of my collection.

4 comments:

  1. Nice 01 Yachtsman! There is a way to fill the clover recess with a white clay. I'll look for the post. However, check out http://grayfoxonline.com/forums. You'll find a bunch of Kaywoodie enthusiasts, including the owner of the current Kaywoodie (aka kwguy). bent-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened across your blog and wanted to add something about the Kaywoodie Yachtsman. I have one that I bought about 50 years ago. It has the "drinkless" screw-in system. I just did a little refurbishment to it--adjusted the stem (which like all my Kaywoodies, was misaligned with the pipe shank. Apparently, the glue which holds the metal part into the stem softens a little and will slip if it's tightened while still warm)--polished the bowl and stem and it looks better than new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar problem, and I used white out, the kind with the little brush.
    It took a few times to fill in the hole, but it works great.
    Just protect the surrounding area with a little petroleum jelly which will make clean up easier.
    One more step would be to get a very small artists brush and dab a drop of varnish? (or whatever) to protect the white out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also use the same small brush to apply the white out will be easier, I didn't do that, but should have.

    ReplyDelete