Friday, February 15, 2008

Rainy days...

Raining tonight, and it looks like it will keep raining tomorrow, which is a blessing because we've really been needing it. We had record rainfall this past summer, which caused all the vegetation to proliferate with wild abandon. And then it stopped. About six months or more with no real rain to speak of, so all that now dead vegetation is like tinder waiting for a match.

So what does this have to do with pipe smoking?

Rainy days are good for pipe cleaning. I think I'll be running some pipe sweetener through all my regular rotation tomorrow, except for the pipes that I recently worked over anyway. And I'm going to try an experiment or two with some of the junk pipes I have that I don't have to worry about destroying.

Also I've been thinking more about tobacco. I have a bad habit of getting stuck on a certain blend for an extended period of time. I think I should start going for more variety, and rotating my tobacco choices along with my pipes.

Currently my favorite smokes are predominant in Perique and/or maduro. I am not averse to latakia blends, either, I just haven't had any in a while. So if anyone reads this who cares to make some recommendations, please leave a comment! And I am not afraid of trying very robust blends, in fact, the robuster the better. I just don't really care for anything that has had artificial flavoring added. Except maybe rum. I'm still looking for a really good rum tobacco.

1 comment:

  1. We don't get much tobacco choices out here in Taiwan, but I personally like Planta's Image Latakia, especially for an after dinner smoke. It's very woody, but tastes pure somehow. I actually prefer it to Nitecap and 965, which are prolific in these parts.

    ReplyDelete