Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Tobacco Cellar

So you should be able to tell from the previous post that I finally placed what I've been calling my "big tobacco order." I was waiting until I could get moved into our new house and bring some slight semblance of order to my "office," which I usually refer to as my Sanctum. When I get things more orderly in here, I will try posting a photo or two, but for now I'll just describe it. Directly overhead at my computer desk are two cabinets at left and center and one double shelf at right. The shelves are for pipes and other pipe paraphernalia (there is also part of a bookshelf in this room dedicated to holding pipes, plus cleaning and pipe-working tools and gear). The overhead cabinet at left holds various important computer-related items, but the center cabinet built into the corner of the wall is deep and spacious and will be my cellar. It will be able to hold a lot of tobacco, and I will probably eventually store larger bulk quantities in our big bedroom walk-in closet. But enough of that. Here is my current tobacco inventory. All of these are in quantities of 2 ounces or less except where noted.

Cornell & Diehl
Bayou Morning -- 4 oz bulk (although I've misplaced it at the moment, but I know it's in this room somewhere).
Perique -- straight for blending
Gray Ghost
Haunted Bookshop
Stanhope
Bayou Night
Oriental Silk
Exclusive
Blockade Runner

Various makers ordered from Cup o' Joes.
Balkan Sasieni -- bulk. I just had a pipe of this--my first time for this blend. I thought I had lost my love for latakia, but I was wrong.
Escudo -- tin. Ah! Escudo!
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe -- bulk. An old favorite from my early years of pipe smoking which I haven't had in a long time.
Pease Maltese Falcon -- tin. This will be another new one for me when I get around to popping the tin.
McClelland St. James Woods -- tin. Another new one that I'm sure I'll love, from what I've heard about it.
Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake -- bulk. 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky!
Gawith Balkan Flake -- tin. Another new one that I haven't popped open yet.
1792 Flake -- tin. The famous--or infamous--flake that I've been wanting to try for a long time, and will soon.

I almost forgot, I also have a tin of Robert McConnell straight latakia that was graciously given to me by a reader of my other blog. I have had it for a while now, but was putting off popping it until I had a good means to preserve it.

I had also wanted to order McClelland's Blackhills Flake and Dunhill's Nightcap (both old favorites) but they were not in stock at the time I ordered. I'll probably order some Blackhills if possible with my next order before too long. I think I can get the Nightcap locally.

I haven't popped any of the tins yet because I need to get more Mason jars. I'm going to keep everything sealed up at all times if possible for preservation. And I probably will delay getting any large bulk quantities of anything until I can find the box where I stored the Tilia Food Saver during the move. There are 3 or 4 C&D blends that I have ordered by the pound in the past, and certainly will again.

1 comment:

  1. Peter Stokkebye Bullseye Flake is like smoking the nectar of the gods. I have smoked many blends that I thought might equal the Bulseye, but I have yet to find it.

    ReplyDelete