Monday, January 6, 2014

Pipe, not pipe #3


Oh, this photo brings back memories.  I have misplaced the original, and thought I had lost the scan.  I had stored it in a folder with some famous pipe smokers (such as Faulkner from the previous post), for some reason, and didn't know it was there.  I couldn't remember what I had named the file, so I couldn't just do a file search for it.  I'm glad I found it again.

It was what at first glance may appear to be a beautiful meerschaum pipe, partially and elegantly colored, with what is possibly--and is in fact, actually--an amber stem.  This is a post card that was sent to me by Tom Dunn of The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris many years ago, and which I painstakingly scanned with my first scanner--a hand scanner!--all those years ago.  The inscription on the reverse is as follows:

Zigarrenspitze aus Meerschaum mit Bernsteinmundstück.
 Reichgeschmückte junge Dame (H. 10 cm). 
Ende 19. Jahrh.

Which, to the best of my knowledge, translates as:

Cigar holder made out of meerschaum with amber stem.
A richly adorned young lady (height 10 cm).
End of the 19th century.

It seems odd to me that a cigar holder would be made so that the cigar had to stick straight up in front of your face, but then maybe it was meant to be used with short cigars.  At a height of 10 cm, it would be quite tall for a pipe.

In any case...there it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment