Monday, January 6, 2014

Pipe Smoker: William Faulkner

William Cuthbert Faulkner (1897 - 1962)
It is my ambition to be, as a private individual, abolished and voided from history, leaving it markless, no refuse save the printed books; I wish I had enough sense to see ahead thirty years ago, and like some of the Elizabethans, not signed them. It is my aim, and every effort bent, that the sum and history of my life, which in the same sentence is my obit and epitaph too, shall be them both: He made the books and he died.

William Faulkner is, of course, an extremely famous author whom I am sure you've heard of.  He was the author of the novels The Sound and the Fury, As I Lay Dying, and Absalom, Absalom! among many others and wrote many short stories as well.  He was born, died, and lived in Mississippi most of his life.


Faulkner was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1949.  Before he became an author, he held several other jobs and positions: railroad financier, politician, soldier, farmer, businessman, and lawyer.

I read somewhere once that he liked to spread various blends of tobacco out on newspapers spread out on his kitchen table and remix them.

Links:
Wikipedia
Nobelprize.org
Biography.com
Wikiquote

No comments:

Post a Comment